Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Undergraduate Interview: Valerie Leah

I had the great opportunity of interviewing a fellow physical anthropology undergraduate at Michigan State University this week. Valerie is a super-senior majoring in physical anthropology and criminal justice with a specialization in Peace and Justice studies. During her last year at MSU, she will be doing a research project in the Nubian Bioarchaeology Lab, working with the MSU Undergraduate Anthropology Club, applying to graduate programs, and finally graduating from MSU!

When and how did you become interested in physical anthropology?

I became interested in Anthropology as a Freshman at MSU. During my first semester,
I took classes in Design, anticipating a degree in Interior Design or Studio Art, and
discovered that those programs weren’t right for me. Panicked, I took a bunch of classes
the following semester that just sounded plain fun or interesting. I stumbled upon
Biocultural Evolution, and I was immediately hooked! Quite a turn around, eh?
 
How have you kept active within the anthropology department as an undergrad?

There are so many opportunities to get involved within the Anthropology Department!
Some of the activities I have been involved in include: being an E-Board member (first as
Events Coordinator and currently as Secretary) of the MSU Undergraduate Anthropology
Club; volunteering and now interning in the MSU Nubian Bioarchaeology Laboratory;
studying abroad in London, England with the Forensic Anthropology and Human
Identification program; and attending the MSU Campus Archaeology Program Field
School. I try to keep as active as possible!
 
What was the biggest opportunity you had as an undergraduate studying
anthropology?


That’s a tough one! I’d have to say that it would be the opportunity to be a part of the
MSU Nubian Bioarchaeology Laboratory’s undergraduate team. There are very few
occasions in which undergraduate students are allowed to learn adult—and very rarely
juvenile—osteology, and the Lab in unique in providing such an environment. It is
invaluable experience! As I finish up my second year in the Lab, I was just offered the
chance to conduct my own research on one of the sections of the collection that has not
yet been studied. I am very excited!
 
What are certain criteria that you are looking for in terms of grad school? (Profs,
location, prestige, etc.)


Graduate school acceptance, especially at this time, is incredibly competitive, so it is
not wise to be too picky (no matter how tempting it is). Pushing that sentiment aside,
however, some of the key things I am looking at are:
1. Professors: You have to make sure your research interests align and that you
are compatible with them and their program
2. Program Type: Masters or PhD? Anthropology, Forensic Anthropology,
Bioarchaeology, Human Skeletal Biology?
3. FUNDING!: Are there opportunities for funding? If not, what options are
there for students?
4. Location: I’m not too concerned about this point, but if I know that I would
not enjoy the environment I would be living in, perhaps a different program
would be a better choice
 
What misconceptions did you have about physical anthropology when you first heard
about it? OR What misconceptions do you usually hear from other students who learn that
you are studying physical anthropology?


I get some interesting responses and quite a few misconceptions from students, adults and
family members alike. Here are some of my favorites:
“Isn’t that, like, bugs or something? Gross!”
“How will you find a job digging up dinosaurs?”
“You hate Jesus, don’t you?”
“I hope you have a back-up plan. We aren’t monkeys, you know…”
“Do you have an outfit like Indiana Jones?!”
“*Insert ‘random excitement about Bones’ here*”
 
What is your favorite part about studying physical anthropology?

Anthropology is all about studying humans, people, and having the chance to give some
sort of identity to someone who is no longer able to tell us about themselves and their
past is an incredibly powerful experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment