Tuesday, May 1, 2012

What's That Bone?: Carpals

Carpals.

Also known as the wrist bones. There are eight of them, the hamate, the capitate, the pisiform, the lunate, the trapezoid, the trapezium, the triquestral, and the scaphoid.






Since I work with juveniles, a lot of the times these carpals aren't really defined. And by that I mean they just look like blobs of bone. After a while some of them start to form and it's easier to identify. I always remember which one is the lunate because it looks like a crescent-shaped moon.

The capitate also is an easy one to remember because, when formed, there is a slight representation of a head - thus, it's easy to remember as capitate. (I mostly come up with this reference from the term, "decapitate")

Whenever the wrist bones are formed to the point where I can determine which bone is which, I usually have to use my bone manual in order to tell. You have to pay attention to particular surfaces and match them up to the pictures in the manual - which can be hard if the carpals are in the middle of forming, or don't look exactly like the picture in the book.


No comments:

Post a Comment