Tuesday, April 10, 2012

What's That Bone? The Ilium

I wasn't sure what bone to talk about this week, so my roommate asked me to talk about something in the pelvis girdle. (She stated this while looking through my copy of The Human Bone Manual) And thus I decided to talk about the ilium.

Your pelvis is made up of three bones (not including epiphyses): the ilium, the ischium, and the pubis. In this segment of "What's That Bone?" I will be talking about the ilium, which can be demonstrated by the picture above. If you're still not sure what that bone completely is, it's also your hip bone.

The ilium fuses with the ischium and the pubis to form the acetabulum, which is where your femur (thigh bone) connects to your pelvis.

Because I mostly work with sub-adult skeletons in the lab, I don't get to see many fused pelvic girdles, so I have experience looking at the ilium as separate from the rest of the pelvis. At first I had a little trouble siding them, but then I managed to figure it out after I realized that the auricular surface (a slightly rougher surface than the rest of the bone) fuses with the sacrum (basically your tailbone). So, I tend to double check by sometimes comparing the ilium to my own.

Here's a great picture by the way:


Stay tuned for later in the week, when I will be posting an interview with a bioarchaeologist! And also make sure to check in this Friday, when I talk about the vertebrae on the next segment of "What's That Bone?"!

No comments:

Post a Comment