Thursday, March 29, 2012

What's That Bone? The Sphenoid.


This is a sphenoid.

This was the first bone I came across while working in the lab. Now, after several months of consistent analysis, it's a pretty easy bone to pick out. Even when it's broken in several pieces. However, I remember when I first encountered with, myself and the other undergraduates - they were also more experienced, may I add - I was working with, took nearly 30 minutes to finally agree that this was a sphenoid bone.

Now you're probably wondering where this bone - that is oddly shaped like a moth - goes. It is actually part of the skull, and to be more specific, it sits right behind your eye orbits (where your eyes are). I actually found a really good picture that can demonstrate this.

Most often - especially when the skulls are not in complete condition, the sphenoid is broken, but it's unique shape makes it pretty easy to pick out. When the sphenoid is complete, myself - as well as others - usually take a minute to appreciate it, because it really is a pretty bone. It's kind of like in that movie, "The Land Before Time" when Littlefoot finds a tree star, and they all just marvel at it.

So that's the sphenoid. It's a lesser-known bone that I find to be one of the more interesting ones in the human body. Next Friday I will discuss another bone - but you'll have to check in if you want to find out which one it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment