Sunday, March 25, 2012

What I do ...

So, one of the first things that non-anthropology people ask me is: What do you do?

Well, there are two ways that I can answer this question. First, I think I should clarify what I would do as a bioarchaeologist. Basically, I want to study human skeletal remains within an archaeological context. In particular to my interests, I would like to do research within a historical context as well so that I can use written evidence to supplement my research.

By studying human skeletal remains, bioarchaeologists can find out all sorts of things like evidence of nutrition and malnutrition, social standing (in terms of mortuary context), and changes within the population over time, along with others. So basically, when I grow up I want to study the human past by analyzing human skeletal remains and supplementing my research with historical evidence. (It's going to be awesome!)

Now the second way to answer the question is to point out what I do as an undergraduate that can help me achieve this goal. Well, like any person who wants to do research in a competitive field, I can not  just go to class. I have to do other stuff as well. I'm part of the undergraduate anthropology club on campus, in which we have guest speakers who give guest lectures about their research. We also do other events like going to the museum on Darwin Day, and information panels with graduate students I also get to meet other anthropologists, and not just physical anthropology students either.

One of the biggest opportunities that I have had as an undergraduate is working in the bioarchaeology lab on campus. As a volunteer, I spend about 7 - 10 hours every week assisting a graduate student with her dissertation research. I lay out skeletons, put them away, do inventory of the bones, epiphyseal union, and measurements of the bones. I have also had the chance to do some dental analysis, but I still do that with the help of a more experienced graduate student. 

I also go to brown bags and dissertation proposals and defenses. The information is always really interesting, but going to these types of informational events are also helpful because I can learn what is expected as different stages of the dissertation process. They also help me understand how to present research, which has already come in handy.

So, when it comes down to it, the one thing that I do not do is just go to class. Even if I'm not a professional, I can say with confidence that if you want to be a bioarchaeologist, you can't just go to lecture classes - or even discussion ones - and expect to have enough experience. You have to do things, get involved in the department and network. It sounds like a lot of extra work - and to be honest, it is, but the experience is so worth it.

Plus, if you really want to be a bioarchaeologist, chances are you don't want to sit in 200-person classes and you do want to get out in the field and do stuff. So it all works out anyway.

1 comment:

  1. interesting. and i think you're on the right track ... sitting in lectures all day will only do so much for you, it's all the "extra" activities that really make the difference and prepare you for life outside the classroom.

    ReplyDelete